This design is courtesy of Jim, a Senior Missile Operator from the 70's. I freely admit that the Nuke Em Till They Glow saying was prevelent at Grand Forks in the late 80's and early 90's!
Ornament measures a minimum 2.5 to 3 inch diameter X 3/16 inch thick.
I individually hand turn each ornament on my lathe, featuring Bradford Pear I obtain from around Robins AFB here in GA. I like the Pearwood because it is really tight grained and takes laser engraving exceptionally well.
Customize! Select your badge (I know the are ALL SENIOR OPERATORS) then use the TEXT BOX to the right to tell me specifically what you want for customized info. You may have your rank and name, just name, no name, inclusive dates (YEARS) of your missile service, and unit, wing and base. If you have any questions after you order, I will certainly draw it up on Corel Draw and send you a concept image.
I am size constrained on this ornament so, I prefer you consider text similar to what is shown in the images. This ornament is not designed to customise on the top and bottom.
Each ornament is provided with an ID card that identifies the badge and wood type.
THE PROCESS START TO FINISH:
- Find the wood.
- Mill the wood (rough)
- Season the wood (6 to 12 months to airdry)
- Flatten one surface of @3" square blank on power sander to mount on lathe
- Free hand turn each ornament
- Finish with Danish Oil
- In Corel Draw, build customized template based on customer input
- Set up Epilogue laser and engrave
- Clean smoke, resin and burn marks from engraving
- Drill pilot hole for screw eye, then insert the screweye
- Measure hanging cord length, cut then tie together and done