The 90th Strategic Missile Wing and 321 SMS are completed for FE Warren AFB, WY Keep your eyes peeled as I announce the other squadron ornament completions.
Detailed photographs are imported into Corel Draw, where I systematically trace/draw/color then layer each detail of the patch. As many as 2000 individual nodes (a single mouse click) may be used to complete a design.
Next, I drill a tiny hole in the top and insert a brass screw eye to string a length of cord for hanging.
Each ornament is provided with an ID card that identifies the wood type.
THE PROCESS START TO FINISH:
- Find the wood.
- Mill the wood (rough)
- Season the wood (6 to 12 months to airdry)
- Flatten one surface of @3" square blank on power sander to mount on lathe
- Free hand turn each ornament
- Finish with Danish Oil
- In Corel Draw, build customized template based on customer input
- Set up Epilogue laser and engrave
- Clean smoke, resin and burn marks from engraving
- Drill pilot hole for screw eye, then insert the screweye
- Measure hanging cord length, cut then tie together and done